Easy Styling Tips For Cocktail Dresses
Cocktail dresses are a staple of virtually every woman’s wardrobe. It’s easy to understand why this is. Cocktail dresses can serve a variety of different purposes. They can be worn for a myriad of reasons. They offer such an astonishing array of variety that finding something that matches your own unique sense of style is almost always possible. The sheer volume of possibilities can be a little intimidating when shopping for something new, but the fact remains that having a cocktail dress or two handy is important, and there are dozens of choices out there to help you find them.
Wedding receptions, birthday parties, intimate gatherings, work events, and a night out on the town with friends are just some of the social calendar possibilities. The trick to looking your best at any of these events is largely a matter of thinking about what kind of dress code that particular moment is going to inspire. This can sometimes make shopping for a cocktail dress a hassle, but there are some general guidelines that can make choosing from among your cocktail dresses for the most ideal one a whole lot easier.
No matter what the occasion might be, there are some easy styling tips for cocktail dresses that can be kept in mind before your next big occasion. These can go a long way towards taking a lot of the hassle out of knowing what to wear, and what you should probably save for the next time.
Styling Ideas For Cocktail Dresses
Don’t be someone who just assumes one cocktail dress is going to work for every single occasion. By the same token, you also don’t want to be someone who follows the latest trends, regardless of whether or not the latest trends in cocktail dresses is right for you. When it comes to cocktail dresses, neither of these approaches is really the way you want to go.
The right cocktail dress comes down to things like your body type, your personal style, and how formal or informal the occasion might be. With that thought in mind, there are a few things that can make the whole decision-making process a whole lot easier for anybody:
- Look at cocktail dresses that are going to throw the spotlight on your best features. Breaking your back to hide what you think would be your worst features can reveal to others your insecurities. Avoid this pitfall by focusing instead on what you perceive your best features to be. Different cocktail dresses are going to emphasize different features. A dress that stops just about the knees can highlight a great pair of legs. A low neckline can emphasize a striking profile or great bust. Wrap dresses, or a dress that features a lovely sash or belt, can bring people’s attention to your waistline. Think about what your best features are, and then look at dresses that are going to bring those features out. The right dress will show people your best features, but it will also put the features you dislike in the background without making it seem obvious.
- Accessories can completely change the way a cocktail dress originally looked. Accessorizing is not about matching up everything under the sun. It’s about coming up with the kinds of accessories that will create the exact look you’re trying to obtain. What you do in terms of makeup, earrings, bracelets, shoes, and more will all play a part in what the dress eventually becomes.
- Dress length is more important than you might think. A petite woman who wants to create the illusion of appearing taller can do so with the help of a shorter dress. However, if you’re a very slim woman, then a dress that’s too short will create an unbalanced look overall. There are several lengths to a cocktail dress. Consider things like height, weight, and waistline when choosing.
- Versatility in a cocktail dress is important, so keep a little black A-line dress in mind. These dresses in particular can work for a number of different body types. It downplays the hips and stomach, fits nicely at the shoulders and bust, and is appropriate for a number of social occasions.
- Because cocktail dresses are appropriate for so many different events, you can change the casualness of a dress quite easily. Dress up or dress down as the situation demands. You can accomplish this with accessories, shoes, sweaters, and just about anything else you can imagine. A versatile cocktail dress is not a myth by any means.
Skin tone and hair color should also be considerations when shopping for just the right cocktail dress. Your height and figure can also play a big part in colors and styles. Personal style is important, but knowing what’s going to work and what isn’t is important, too.